Spirit of the role
As a Strategy Director you will be leading teams along with our Design Directors to create holisitic, effective and creative solutions to any challenge.
You will shape the way that we approach strategy, championing new processes, thinking and methodologies and informing the scoping of future projects. You will shape the strategy team; hiring, training and developing new talent.
As a senior leader you will be a key part of winning new work and growing the relationship with existing clients.
You will be a large contributor to the studio culture internally and a key part of our narrative with the world, shaping the direction of the studio, becoming an ambassador for DS globally (talking at events, working with the community, etc).
- Lead creative teams across multiple projects.
- Own and build the strategic vision and culture within DS, always looking for new ways to improve the way we work.
- Create and build client relationships.
- Developing talent. Hiring, training, reviewing, managing ongoing development of the strategic team.
- Unlock the potential for strategy throughout all stages of a project.
- Manage strategic aspects of projects to ensure that work gets delivered on time.
- Guide and mentor teams, giving them guidance, energy and direction.
- Inform new business, proposals and project planning.
- Lead immersion research (creating and facilitating strategic workshops, stakeholder interviews, etc).
- Create compelling brand strategy that the creative team can take meaningful action from (positioning, propositions, user experiences, information architecture, etc).
Key skills and qualifications
- Outstanding leadership skills: You're a natural collaborator and a proven leader. You are at ease with multidisciplinary teams and can bring energy and enthusiasm set strategic direction across interaction, product, space and service design.
- Outstanding facilitator: able to design and lead workshops, enabling creative leaps and break through political impasses.
- Transformation expertise: able to guide clients through complex stakeholder engagement and/or cultural change.
- Master Storyteller: excellent presenter, writer and communicator who is able to construct a strong and persuasive argument with logic and imagination.
- Commercial savvy: able to design and build a vision for a project with a view to growing long term client relationships.
- Efficiency: able to juggle several tasks with ease, prioritize work-streams, delegate effectively with strong organizational skills.
- Flexibility: able to flex and be confident working within any kind of industry, with any type of person, anywhere in the world (from startups to corporations to schools and beyond).
- Large toolkit: proficient with the tools of the trade and confident to go beyond, discovering new ones and developing your own (making films, prototypes, research methodologies, etc).
- Proven experience: you've consistently delivered incredible, effective strategic work that is recognised by your peers.
Qualities of a DS strategist
- A no-nonsense approach to strategy
- Strive for clarity over complexity
- Balance intuition and intellect
- Curiosity and deep interest in the world
- A unique point of view
- Open to new viewpoints, ideas and ways to work
- Highly adaptable to any project, task or situation
- Happy to get hands dirty
- A 'get stuff done' attitude
- Strong work ethic
- Confident and self-motivated
- Able to work independently and collaboratively
- Well organized
- Highly design literate, with an understanding of brand